The Trauma Centre of the University Children’s Hospital in Kraków will receive over 8 million zlotys for the purchase of new equipment that will help saving children who have suffered multiple organ damage. The project, funded within the framework of the Operational Progamme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, is planned to be completed in 2018.
According to the hospital’s statement, the grant will make it possible to purchase magnetic resonance imaging apparatus, as well as two ultrasound machines, three cardiac monitors and a defibrillator.
“This equipment is considered a basic tool in diagnostics and treatment of severe multiple organ damage. The University Children’s Hospital has played the role of a regional trauma centre since its foundation. Thanks to the new apparatus, our potential for saving children’s life and health will substantially increase,” says Dr hab. Piotr Wojciechowski, head of the Trauma Ward at the University Children’s Hospital in Kraków.
About 120 patients with severe multiple organ damage are admitted to the University Chidren’s Hospital each year. Most of them are victims of road accidents or accidents that occurred during sport activities or agricultural work. Creating the Trauma Centre is another important step in the hospital’s development.
“The investment in equipment will provide the highest standard of treatment of patients with severe injuries. Yet, we must bear in mind that the functioning of a children’s trauma centre requires constant resources to fund the work of highly qualified staff. We hope that we will be able to secure them”, says Prof. Krzysztof Fyderek, Director of the University Children’s Hospital in Kraków.
The Trauma Centre of the University Children’s Hospital will receive 8,085,000 zlotys, 85 percent of which will be financed from the European Regional Development Fund. The remaining 15 percent will be covered by the state budget.