The JU Centre for Comparative Studies of Civilisations, JU Research Group of Compatave Studies of Civilisations are hosting the 2nd demonological conference Deliver us from Evil. Apotropaic Customs and Objects in the Civilisations of the World.
The organizers said: “After the enthusiastic reception of the 1st demonological conference The Sleep of Reasons Produces Monsters… Supernatural Creatures in the Civilisations of the World in May 2015 we would like to continue the discussion. Yet, whereas during the first edition we concentrated on the tension between the rationality and irrationality in the image of demon, now we will focus on the apotropaic customs and objects in various civilisations and ages and from different perspectives: from Far East to America, from antiquity to modern times and from semiotics to medicine.”
The conference will cover such topics as:
- amulets, talismans, incantation bowels, apotropaions in architecture;
- mythical narrations (historiolas) in apotropaic accessories;
- catalogues of demons and the means of repelling;
- repelling the evil, fighting with the evil and taming the evil;
- reification, personification, theriomorphism – the conceptualisation of evil for apotropaic purposes;
- the social functions of healer, exorcist, shaman, ghost hunter;
- protection in black and white magic;
- folk apotropaic customs and accessories;
- rationalisation of the protective customs;
- apotropaic customs in the era of new media.
The above list by no means exhausts the possible topics and in this regard the organisers count on creative invention of prospective participants.
Dates and deadlines:
19 March 2017 – registration deadline
2 April 2017 – publication of the list of accepted abstracts
30 April 2017 – publication of the conference programme
5-7 May 2017 – conference
30 September 2017 – post-conference paper submission deadline