Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

about the university

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Museums

Jagiellonian University Museum – Collegium Maius

Located at the corner of Świętej Anny and Jagiellońska streets, JU Collegium Maius Museum is the oldest university edifice in Poland. Its history can be traced back to the year 1400 when King Władysław Jagiełło donated this tenement house to the university. Almost every room in the building has its own legend and is associated with such outstanding personalities as Copernicus, Faust, Twardowski or St. John Cantius.

After the Second World War, the Collegium Maius was converted into a museum which presently houses old university collections (masterpieces and historic souvenirs) and a rich collection of scientific instruments – astrolabes, globes, sun-dials, telescopes, vacuum pumps, microscopes – many of which are unique on a world scale. The Collegium Maius also possesses a museum shop, a tourist information centre and attractive, refurbished basements with a conference room, café and exhibition hall. By virtue of the collection and the building, the museum hosts the most important academic conferences and JU Senate sessions. It has also been visited by the most eminent university guests including John Paul II, Queen Elizabeth II and the Emperor and Empress of Japan.


E-mail
collegiummaius.info@uj.edu.pl
Address
ul. Jagiellońska 15
31-010 Kraków
Phone
+48 12 422 05 49
Website (in Polish)

Anatomy Museum

The Anatomy Museum of the JU Medical College hosts more than 2 thousand exhibits in its three rooms.
The first room is devoted to osteology, arthrology, comparative anatomy and anthropology.
The second room contains so-called "wet preparations", kept in sterile jars and special transparent containers. They include exhibits from the field of head and neck anatomy and the intensities from the chest, abdominal cavity and pelvis. Besides, the exhibition includes development models, brought to the museum in the period between the First and the Second World War by Kostanecki.
The last room, i.e. the Ludwik Teichmann room, which the museum is very proud of, contains the oldest exhibits, which were prepared by Teichmann himself. They may serve as an example of great industry and extraordinary skill.
Address
Ul. Kopernika 12
31-034 Kraków
Phone
12 422 95 11
Website (in Polish)

Anatomopathological Museum

The Anatomopathological Museum of the Faculty of Medicine, located in the cellars of the Chair in Patomorphology of the Medical College at ul. Grzegórzecka 16, consists of two rooms and a spacious vestibule. The collection comprises valuable exhibits from the field of anatomical pathology, which shed much light on the history of medicine in Krakow.
The rich collection dates back to the early 19th century, which is known thanks to the 1816 list of exhibits. Later the collection rapidly developed thanks to Prof. Maciej Brodowicz, who ordered to preserve and keep the organs of autopsy subjects.

 

Address
ul. Grzegórzecka 16

31-531 Kraków
 

Botanical Garden Museum

Dating back to 1780, the Botanical Garden Museum is an academic research and teaching unit as well as the oldest botanic museum in Poland. The historical character of the display combined with the stylish interiors create a unique atmosphere.

E-mail
hortus@uj.edu.pl
Address
ul. Kopernika 27
31-501 Kraków
 

Phone
+48 12 421 26 20
Website (in Polish)

Faculty of Medicine Museum

Founded in 1900 by Prof. Walery Jaworski (1849-1924), the JU Faculty of Medicine Museum grew by gift and bequest. Until 1992, the exhibits had no fixed residence. At present they are displayed in Kraków Medical Association House. A permanent display presents souvenirs, old printed works, manuscripts, documents, medals, plaster casts, scientific apparatus and a large collection of portraits.

Visits are possible by appointment (by telephone or mail).

Address
ul. Radziwiłłowska 4
31-034 Kraków
Phone
+48 12 422 21 16
 

Geological Museum

The Geological Museum of the Institute of Geological Sciences at the Jagiellonian University possesses one of the oldest collections whose origins date back to 1782. The collection has grown thanks to the directors of the Mineral Gallery (later: JU Institute and Chair in Mineralogy and Petrography) who not only donated to the museum their own annotated collections but also bought minerals and rocks in mineral stores in Heidelberg, Bonn and Geneva and organized trips in Poland and abroad from which they brought back many valuable specimens.
The museum houses over 200 collections of fossils and mineral specimens. Among the oldest are:
 
•    minerals, rocks and fossils bought in 1810 from the resigning director of the Chair in Natural History – mineralogist and traveler, Baltazar Hacquet
•    more than a dozen collections of Paleozoic and Mesozoic invertebrates collected by Professor Alojzy Alth
•    collection of Ignacy Domeyko consisting of 97 mineral specimens from Chilean and Bolivian mineral deposits with original certificates signed by the benefactor
 
Permanent displays including Minerology, Dynamic Geology, and Historical Geology are valued for their educational character.

E-mail
jolanta.gruza@uj.edu.pl
Address
ul. Oleandry 2a
30-063 Kraków
Phone
+48 12 663 24 82
 

Read More o

Museum of Pharmacy

Founded in 1946, the JU Museum of Pharmacy has the largest collection in Poland. There are only a few similar museums in the world. Since 1991, the Museum has been open for tourists. Furnished with original pharmacy equipment, it boasts an extremely rich collection amounting to 20,000 exhibits including mortars, pharmacy scales, vessels, copper kettles and medicinal herbs. The museum has its own library which holds valuable old printed works, herbaria, handbooks on the history of pharmacy and albums.

The Museum of Pharmacy is also an independent teaching and research unit supervised by the Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy.

E-mail
mf@mp.pl
Address
ul. Floriańska 25
31-019 Kraków
Phone
+48 12 421 92 79
 

Read More o

Zoological Museum

The Museum was established in 1782 as the "Natural History Cabinet". The townhouse at ul. Św. Anny 6 was its home for 184 years, until its relocation in 1967 to the Institute of Zoology at ul. Ingardena 6 (formerly ul. Krupnicza 50), where it remained to the end of year 2014. From the beginning of the year 2015, all the collections are kept in a new building at ul. Gronostajowa 5.

Read More o

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Find us at